Four Shot Outside Nationals Stadium in Washington

Fans poured out of the stadium in a scene of fear and confusion and a game between the Nationals and the Padres was halted in the sixth inning.,


Continue reading the main story

Supported by

Continue reading the main story

Four people were shot outside of Nationals Park in Washington on Saturday night during a baseball game between the Washington Nationals and the San Diego Padres, the police said, prompting fans to pour out of the stands and players to scramble relatives to safety in a scene of fear and confusion.

The police said they were investigating the shooting and that there appeared to be no ongoing threat. The police did not immediately provide information about the conditions of the victims, but said that two had walked into hospitals for treatment.

The game was halted in the middle of the sixth inning, with the Padres leading, 8-4. Team officials said the game would resume on Sunday afternoon, and the teams would play their regularly scheduled game afterward on Sunday.

The team canceled its postgame news conference with players and the team’s manager. The Nationals said in a statement on Twitter that fans had been encouraged to leave the ballpark through the center field and right field gates.

“We’re working with law enforcement to provide more information as soon as it becomes available,” the team said.


Some fans went to the concourses and some players brought their relatives to their clubhouses within the stadium.Credit…Mitchell Layton/Getty Images

Fans at the game said they heard what sounded like gunshots, coming from the third base side of the park. Many were initially confused, and the players left the field. Many fans started trying to leave.

An announcement on the stadium loudspeaker said: “Please remain calm and remain inside the stadium.”

Jacob DeAngeles, 25, said he had been sitting with his girlfriend and a friend in Section 106 near the foul pole on the left field side when he started seeing people running up the stairs and heard someone yell: “active shooter.”

“We initially thought it was inside the stadium,” he said. “It was pure panic right away.”

Some people crouched under their seats, while Mr. DeAngeles said he jumped the turnstiles with his friend and girlfriend and then made it onto the street and back home, as police cars converged on the area.

“It’s just wild,” he said. “You don’t think you will be in that experience, but you hear ‘active shooter’ and just run.”

Nick Butler, 28, said he had been sitting in the stands beyond center field and had been watching the weather, wondering if the game would be rained out. When he saw fans behind home plate sprinting, he assumed the rain had arrived, but then he noticed that some were ducking and the players were not in the dugouts.

Mr. Butler said he leapt up from his seat and headed to the center field concourse, looking for an exit, turned a corner and was told by a staff member that he could not leave that way. Then he saw “a stampede of people running in our direction.”

That’s when he realized, “something’s happening here.”

He said he turned and ran and found his way into what he described as a Nationals operations center, where he ducked under tables and waited until a public announcement made it clear that fans could leave.

“I am comforted in some way that we were never really in danger,” he said.

After fans poured of the ballpark, the metro platform at the Navy Yard station was crowded, as it typically is after a game, but the fans were quieter than usual, with many people sharing their recollections of what they had heard.

Amy Fiscus and David Waldstein contributed reporting.

Leave a Reply